Thursday, January 04, 2007

Knitting in the new year

There hasn't been much of it.

My second hank of Knit Picks Sierra still needs to be put into a ball. I've frogged the dishcloth twice, although I think I'm good with 32 stitches on 8s. (I started with 40 and tried 36.) I've done two repeats of the pattern and am not sure if it's too loose. For now I'm fine with knitting it and worrying about the result when it's finished.

This has been an incredibly fertile week for creative endeavors, though. (Notice that the definition of fertile mentions productivity but not quality.) Since Monday I've written five movie reviews, blogged every day (including that mammoth Archies post), and completed a rough draft of a humor piece for NightsAndWeekends.com. I had no intention of doing the latter, but you do what you have to do when inspiration strikes. With all that, you'd think I'd be caught up--I'm not--and getting paid for it--I don't.

Friday is as close to a day off as I get right now. I need to see Little Children, which opens tomorrow. I've had an awards screener for a month or so, but there's been no time for DVD watching. While I'm softening on my stance that films are better appreciated in the theater, I'll make the trek even though I could watch the disc. I have film critic group award nominations to amass, although I'm betting the majority won't arrive in my inbox until the Saturday night deadline.

So what else will this off day bring? Knitting, for sure. I want to finish my other scarf, and this weekend seems like a golden opportunity to do so. I also want to bake some Christmas cookies. Yeah, I know Christmas is over. Even the twelve days of it are nearly past. I like baking and didn't have time for it during the holidays. Maybe, as the saying goes, it will grant me some goodwill toward men. I need to start my apartment search, a decision I feel more strongly about than ever, but I don't want to run around all day.

I will say that this week has gone okay in spite of the frantic nature of the new year and stress of my apartment situation. I'm not sure that I see the light at the end of the tunnel as far as a break is concerned, but it'll come...eventually.

Next...I'm kicking around a couple different topics. Check back in to find out.

2 Comments:

At 3:58 PM, Blogger donnadb said...

Thought I'd give you an update on my knitting progress. (I fear boring my own readers with knitposts.)

I knitted a few more rows tonight, then took the plunge and trying purling. The first row went so easily -- I thought, "this is easier than knit stitch!" But then on the second row I realized that I had purled very tightly -- I had a hard time getting the needle into the stitches. I did a few more rows but never did solve my tightness problem.

I think I try to pull the knit stitch pretty tight, too -- it's just that the stitch is coming off the needle where I slip the other needle into it, rather than curling around it to the other side as in the purl stitch.

So what's the deal with tight vs. loose? How do you find a balance? And what's up with the last stitch on the row -- how do you keep from having a big messy loop of yarn hanging off? I can't seem to figure out how to pull that one tight.

Help is appreciated!

 
At 5:18 PM, Blogger the secret knitter said...

To keep from boring those who know, I'll e-mail you to address a couple of these things to the best of my ability.

I'm curious about tightness because I think I knit tightly rather than loosely. Unless the item is more open, you want to knit tightly, don't you? What do you experienced knitters say?

 

Post a Comment

<< Home