Sunday, December 31, 2006

Goodbye 2006

Although nothing magical will happen tonight when the calendar flips from 2006 to 2007, I couldn't be happier about bringing this year to an end. It has been trying on a lot of fronts, and I feel like I could use the fresh start that a new year brings.

As much as I dislike moving, it's very likely that in 2007 I will look for a new place to call home. I've lived in my current apartment for a long time, but the last couple days have been the proverbial straw that broke the camel's back. The noise issue I've written about previously has marginally improved, but it has also brought more hostility my direction. It's the little things too: having my parking space taken, my newspaper stolen, and my trash can used by others who then don't bother to put the lid on or set it by the curb. I don't feel comfortable at home any longer, and I don't believe there's anything the landlord will or can do about it. How I hate feeling like some cantankerous old man griping about whippersnappers.

I'll have to check, but I'm pretty sure my current lease runs through May. At this particular time that seems like an eternity, but it'll give me time to pack everything and throw out what I don't need. I'm not holding my breath, but maybe the college students living here won't generate as much noise when classes resume. They hardly seem like dedicated academics, but with all this idle time during December, they've been nothing but a nuisance. I've already looked at some places online today. While I'll undoubtedly see a rent increase, it'll be worth it to have some peace of mind.

I suppose it's only appropriate to have the year play out with me feeling wiped out. I had RSVP'd for a New Year's Eve party tonight but was going to back out because I'm not really feeling up to it. With the early start my neighbors are on, I know that it's probably best that I'm not here, so I've decided to go. They'll likely still be making a racket whenever I return, but it'll be a break from the thrum of the stereo and voices in the apartment next to mine for a few hours.

Sorry for the venting. I feel like I've done a lot of complaining here. That isn't what I want to do.

Since I had agreed two months ago to stat the eight basketball games over the past two days, a decision that had me wanting to curl up in the fetal position and die as the games plodded along, knitting has been slow this week. To help block out the quieter but still plainly audible party next door, I listened to my iPod and knitted in the farthest corner of my apartment. I knitted a good deal during this afternoon's Bengals game, another heartbreaker from a team that trafficks in them, and am almost done with the first ball. I still need to figure out how I can get the other hank into a ball with just two hands. So far, so good with this scarf.

And that puts a cap on a year that has been a struggle but has not been all bad. After all, look what knitting has brought me. :)

I feel battered but have hope that this upcoming year will be better. I also wish the best for you in 2007. Happy new year!

Next...hello 2007.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home