Thursday, December 07, 2006

The basketweave scarf

As you can see, the basketweave scarf is coming along slowly but surely. I haven't had a lot of time to knit this week. I could have had some bonus knitting time yesterday; however, for all my big talk about not worrying about what other people think, when push came to shove, I kept the needles in my backpack.

You see, yesterday morning's screening didn't go very smoothly. I don't like that the theater is so cold that it's necessary to wear a coat and bring a blanket in case outerwear isn't sufficient. At least I'm prepared for that. (The complaining hasn't done any good yet.) I'm not ready for an hour-long forced intermission so that the reels, which were put on upside down and backward, can be assembled properly. It kind of breaks the momentum of the movie.

Since these shenanigans aren't anything new, Kristin has taken to packing a sort of survival pack. She brings cards and her knitting in the event that we have these delays. I had my knitting with me, but I wasn't feeling brave enough to get it out. One of the younger critics sounded a little incredulous when he made a comment about what Kristin was doing. In all fairness, before I learned I might have said something similar.

I don't know why someone knitting in public seems so odd to people who don't knit. Last week one of the blowhards on local sports talk radio was talking about how knitting needles should be banned from the state university arena because of how the knitters affect the game atmosphere. I can understand that reaction if she was whittling. But knitting?

Wednesday night provided a temporary respite from screenings. I planned to get a lot of knitting done, but between repeated trips to the basement to do laundry and wanting to veg and watch TV, I didn't get as much done as I wanted. I don't have that many projects remaining for the Christmas deadline, but I'm feeling the time pinch.

Purling still feels awkward, but I'm getting the hang of it. My speed is improving too. According to the pattern, this scarf won't be as long as the others I've knitted, so that should shave some time off of it. Unless another idea comes to me, this will be the most complicated scarf I'll knit for the holidays. I'm proud of my other work, but this one may end up looking the most impressive of the bunch.

Next...more on the basketweave scarf.

4 Comments:

At 3:16 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

The scarf looks really good. No one would know you are a new purler. I've been knitting in public over the last few weeks and have encountered similar attitudes of incredulity (spelling?) because here in South Africa (I'm not South African, just sojourneying here for a while) knitting is still largely a thing that is reserved for old ladies who knit ugly stuff in acryllic. So when I as a young woman turn up with my knitting and my swanky american yarns it kind of throws people for a bit of a loop.
I find knitting in public helps me from becoming annoyed over delays and stuff like that because I'm doing something productive and not just wasting time. I used to always have a book, but then I got accused of being anti-social and people get freaked out if you're reading history books for pleasure...

And there I go rambling on again... sorry.

 
At 9:32 AM, Blogger the secret knitter said...

Thanks for the compliment. The scarf looks better laying down than held up. There are more spots to see through it than I wish were there, but maybe it's the nature of this pattern.

I had to laugh that knitting in public would make you seem less antisocial than reading a book in public. I get the impression that people think knitters aren't paying attention to anyone around them.

 
At 7:59 AM, Blogger Jennifer said...

the scarf looks great and i can't believe that some stupid sportscaster things knitting needles should be banned...what an IDIOT!!

 
At 5:51 PM, Blogger the secret knitter said...

The bigger problem with the arena is that it's like a cave. I hardly think that the knitters are the ones sucking the atmosphere out of the place, but they're an easy target for the writers and broadcasters. Chances are there aren't many knitters reading or listening to them, because as we know, only old women knit.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home