Thursday, November 23, 2006

Giving Thanks

Today we give thanks for all of our blessings. I'm not sure why I've often found this hard to do before the Thanksgiving meal. Perhaps it's because it is done out of a sense of duty more than gratitude, but whatever the case, this year I have a greater appreciation for the good things in my life.

Yes, I'm going to get serious today. This has been a trying year, especially if counting back twelve months from now. No one close to me has died. I haven't been in poor health or lost my job. I have had some pretty good scares, though.

Work has been turbulent. I'm one of just three fulltime employees at the college/city television station. Maintaining the status quo can be all-consuming, nevermind when there are other issues. My boss was dealt some tough blows in the unexpected deaths of loved ones. There was a major incident in which I was deeply hurt by something a co-worker did to smear me in a public way. The future of the station has come into question because of how it is funded.

I've always enjoyed good health, but earlier this year I had to have a lesion removed from my tongue. (I agree. Gross.) Who knows why it was there. For a week I had to wait to find out if the biopsy showed evidence of cancer. On top of that, my tongue was very swollen, which made eating difficult for a couple weeks and talking a challenge for almost a month. Fortunately everything turned out okay, but it was a nerve-racking time.

I've been burning the candle at both ends for a long time, and this year I think it caught up with me. You never want to go through rough patches, but I feel like it has ultimately been for the best. With that said, here is what I am thankful for:

-Family

Sure, they can drive me crazy, but whose family doesn't do the same? I have good relationships with my parents and brothers. I don't have a lot of other close family, but I know these people are there for me.

-Old friends

Again, this is not a humongous group, but with all of the tension and stress this year has brought, it was good to be reminded who is there to help during the times when you need it most.

-New friends

With my job, I'm in a spot where most of the people around me are ten to fifteen years younger or older. I don't tend to meet a lot of people my age. There's no doubt then that making new friends has been my greatest joy of the year. And no, it's not because it led to learning to knit, although that has certainly been an unexpected bonus.

-Health

Probably the main thing many of us take for granted. Being put in a situation in which simple things like eating and talking were temporary challenges woke me up to how blessed I've been to have good health. It also spurred me to pay attention to what I eat and start exercising again to get in better shape. It's amazing how much better I feel after doing this for months.

-A good job

I'm extremely lucky to have a job that I love. Facing the prospect of doing something else really freaked me out. The good news is that my co-worker and I have repaired what I thought was unfixable between us. The funding issue, which has yet to be resolved, may end up putting us entirely under the college's umbrella and improving the job. There are no guarantees, but the future sounds promising.

-Wisdom to put everything in perspective

Although it wasn't by choice, this year has required reevaluating what is important to me and how to take better care of myself. It might sound silly, but I'm grateful that I've been able to see this and be smart enough to do something about it. It's one thing to know you need to make changes and another thing to follow through. I can't claim perfection here, but I feel like I'm on the right path.

-Knitting

Next to everything else, this might seem frivolous, at least to non-knitters. I don't expect there are any of those here, so you know what I'm talking about, right? I've gushed about knitting on this blog because it means a lot to me. Words are failing me, so I hope the enthusiasm I've shown says all that needs to be said.

Have a wonderful day wherever you are and whomever you're with.

Next...knitting in secret at my parents' house.

3 Comments:

At 1:01 PM, Blogger Jennifer said...

happy thanksgiving and good luck w/ the secret knitting : )

 
At 5:24 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Knitting can make all seem right with the world. Good luck with the secret knitting.

 
At 10:24 AM, Blogger the secret knitter said...

I'll post an update later, but I may need some luck to keep it secret...or to find some time to knit.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home