Wednesday, January 10, 2007

Karma strikes back

First, Donna tipped me off to National De-Lurking Week. If you read but don't comment, please take the time to say hello and introduce yourself. It's nice to know that people are reading, and if you have a site of your own, I'd be happy to check it out. I'll even answer your burning questions about the secret knitter. Within reason, of course.

OK, with that public service announcement out of the way, here's today's entry...

Giddy over the football loss that rocked the city, it didn't take me long to pay my karmic debt for my schadenfreude, although it took a couple hours to notice. I was set to place an order with Knit Picks when I found that my debit card was not in my wallet. Strange. And then it hit me. I must not have taken it when I got cash from the ATM that morning.

I wasn't concerned that someone had stolen it. I made the same mistake several years ago, so I knew that these machines swallow cards if the owners leave them behind. Unfortunately, I also knew that the cards are shredded, or at least that's what bank officials have said.

I drove to the bank to get a replacement card and had confirmed what I expected. They could not give me a replacement there and then. It would come in the mail in five days. This is sort of a problem since I use a debit card for everything. I don't carry a lot of cash, and I haven't written any checks in a couple years. (Thank you online banking.) I can still get money, but I have to fill out a withdrawal slip and give it to a teller. I remember taking a class in high school in which it was speculated that financial transactions would become increasingly reliant on electronic payments rather than paper money and coins. I scoffed at the idea, but here I am doing exactly that.

So my order is on hold, which bums me out because I had hoped to have it in time for a lot of knitting over the weekend. I may have to buy some yarn at a store to give me something to work on, although what I would be knitting is to be determined.

I have finished the other scarf I was knitting for myself. Kristin, who has recovered from her holiday illness, intervened with the first parking garage knitting repair in awhile. She cleaned up the dropped stitch in the row I was binding off, which allowed me to finish the scarf in no time when I got home. I had enough yarn for a short tail, but I definitely cut it close. No picture yet. I'll get one up in the next day or two.

Tonight I'll work on the seed stitch dishcloth. If all goes well, maybe I'll have it to show you tomorrow.

Next...this teaser goes on hiatus except for when I know what I'll be writing about next.

4 Comments:

At 3:00 PM, Blogger Karen said...

Another Ohio knitter waving hello. Your past two entries had me grinning as I'm a Maize and Blue fan myself.

 
At 11:36 PM, Blogger donnadb said...

Oooo, seed stitch! When will we see an in-progress picture?

My first project is about four inches long! Hooray!

Also Noel says to delurk on his behalf ... he refuses to register for Blogger just to leave comments on blogs (exact quote: "it's effin' ridiculous") and feels silly leaving an anonymous comment. Personally I don't think that one can de-lurk by proxy, so as far as I'm concerned he has not fulfilled his N.D-L.W. obligations.

 
At 12:12 AM, Blogger the secret knitter said...

Thanks Karen.

Ask and you shall receive. I'll take a photo of my in-progress dishcloth, which has stalled for various unexciting reasons.

Congratulations on the first project progress, Donna. It's a nice feeling of accomplishment, isn't it?

I don't know about Noel's delurking by proxy either, but it's nice to know he's reading.

 
At 6:34 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

oh man - bummer about the debit card. i'm right there w/ ya on never carrying cash...it's so easy to use that card and i am totally dependent on it.

can't wait to see the promised pic, altho i'm behind in my blog reading so maybe it's already posted...off to read the next post! : )

 

Post a Comment

<< Home