Sunday, August 21, 2011

Sunday in the park and more

In an effort to make my last day of this trip to New York City count, I sacrificed sleep so I could get into midtown Manhattan early enough to get a good spot in the TKTS line. I'd decided to forsake a Mets game at Citi Field in favor or another play. Professional baseball games are readily available to me; Broadway productions are not. Since most of the performances--and all of the ones I was interested in--were matinees, I needed to be up and about fairly early.

I got my top pick, which surprisingly has some knitting content in it...but more on that in a moment.

With my ticket in hand I set out north for Central Park. I didn't have anywhere in particular I wanted to see. I just wanted to get a good sense of the place. I walked around for close to 90 minutes and had little sense of where I was in relation to anything. When I thought I surely was close to the Upper West Side, I was instead over by the Upper East Side. I entered at 60th Street and emerged at W. 90th and Central Park West, if that tells you anything.

The park was gorgeous, and I wish I'd had more time to explore (or get lost). A much-needed lunch beckoned, and I had 45 city blocks south to walk. Sure, I could have taken the subway, but I figured I needed the exercise and could see the city more this way.

I went to see How to Succeed in Business Without Really Trying, which stars Daniel Radcliffe and John Larroquette. Yes, Harry Potter is in it. He seemed to be quite a draw, if the raucous reception and crowds by the stage door are good indicators. He's fine in the play, although he still has a lot of growth to undergo as an actor. (Also, he's short. Maybe it's exaggerated when he stands next to Larroquette, but he doesn't seem to be very tall.)

Anyway, in the play Larroquette's character is a more or less secret knitter to alleviate stress. It gets some laughs, especially when Radcliffe's savvy character pretends to be a knitter too to hit it off with the company president.

I could say much more about this day in New York City, but as has been the theme with this trip, I'm getting to bed pretty late. Since I'm driving home Monday, I need to get to bed and thus wrap up.

This has been a very busy vacation, to say the least, but I've had a lot of fun. Before I left I was kind of feeling like I was ready to be home. I haven't missed it while I've been away, and I'd love to have more time in NYC. Still, I'll be glad to be back at my place by this point Monday night.

Labels: , , , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home