Monday, July 18, 2011

Telecommute

I've not taken time off from work this summer, and today wasn't any exception even though I'm still at my parents' home. Let us say a few words in praise of the good ol' telecommute.

I needed to write and have found that I have better luck doing that outside of the office. So, I let it be known I'd log my time away from my place of business today. This allowed me to extend my visit and still accomplish what had to be done. I doubt this would fly during the school year, but for the summer it was perfectly acceptable.

Yes, there were interruptions and distractions, and I took longer than necessary to tap out my script. Nevertheless, it was a productive day and one that opens up tomorrow for getting other things done. If I'd been in the office, chances are I'd have not begun any of this, fretted about it, and set myself up to be stressed out on Tuesday while I attacked it.

The big benefit was being able to spend more time with my parents. (Hey it's been almost seven months.) I helped out with some technological questions that they needed answered, something I have more patience for, and probably less knowledge, than my nearby brothers possess.

This kind of freedom isn't something that's a regular thing for me. If anything, the work sometimes will follow me where I go even when I would rather it did not. Still, there's something to be said for a day like this away from the fluorescent lights, lack of windows, and dynamics of the workplace. At least for today, it didn't even feel like work.

Labels: , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home