Wednesday, July 13, 2011

Plus

Is this what's it's like for older folks with technology? I'm not on Facebook, for the time being, but thanks to an invite from a reader, I'm on Google+. And I am hopelessly lost.

OK, that's overstating things a bit, but the fact remains that Google wants to collect everything I use my main Gmail account for and put it in one tidy spot. I, on the other hand, want to compartmentalize. Apparently you must link your Google+ and Picasa to sign up. (Boo!) Most people wouldn't find that problematic. I do. All of my knitblog photos are there. I have them classified as limited sharing, and I think that keeps them from being visible in Google+. I'm not 100% certain, though.

At least upfront it seems so overwhelming. By the service being "helpful", it's creating more problems than if it just let me manually add everything that I want and not try to share my footprint on the web, at least with Google services.

I'm imagine I'll come around on it once I figure it out, but for the moment I feel more like older relatives who have no desire to go online at all or struggle to understand how it works.

Labels: , , ,

1 Comments:

At 4:08 PM, Anonymous LittleWit said...

I've been traveling for work and woefully behind on blog reading. There are some definite quirks to google+. I didn't realize you had to link your picasa, but I guess I don't have one? So maybe that's why I didn't have to worry about it. I am annoyed that I can't link all of my gmail accounts in there. I have two (or three rather) and it would be easy to have the ability to choose from which account I would like to share what info.

I will say though, having an android phone, I am loving how quickly I can find all the things google from my phone.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home