Saturday, January 29, 2011

Weird eats

I was reading The AV Club's survey of its writers about weird childhood foods, and the memories came flooding back about the strange stuff I ate. The following items were not consumed out of necessity but because I liked them or because others ate them. I cannot say that I remember when I last ate any of these, so it's been some time.

-Mustard sandwiches

These are self-explanatory. I like mustard. Spread it on some bread and there you go.

-Grated Parmesan cheese sandwiches

As far as I know, this recipe is my own creation. Toast two pieces of bread. Shake Kraft grated Parmesan cheese on one piece of toast. Top with the other piece of toast. It's a good thing I'm not hungry right now because this sounds good. Of all the items on this list, this is one I'm likely to have eaten within the last ten to fifteen years.

I would also dip into that memorable green can to eat the grated cheese by the spoonful.

-Cinnamon Graham crackers with cake frosting

Take two cinnamon Graham crackers and put cake frosting, preferably vanilla, between them. I'm so ashamed.

-Ice cream with Ritz crackers

This one may have come from my grandmother. I remember that sometimes she would eat vanilla ice cream with Ritz crackers kind of like one might enjoy chips and salsa. What's the idea behind it? I DON'T KNOW.

-Ice cream with Nestle Quik

In comparison to the rest, this one probably isn't as weird and might even be considered normal use of the product. Sprinkle the powdered flavoring on top of vanilla ice cream and mix in to create a new flavor--I'd use chocolate and strawberry--or don't mix it in and enjoy. That works too.

-Chicken livers

I'll end on something that is legitimately recognized as what one might eat. I loved chicken livers as a kid. I want to say that I even got them from Kentucky Fried Chicken on occasion. I definitely ate those that my grandmother made. I think that at one point I must have been put off them, probably when I became more aware of what livers are. Still, it done right, I think I'd eat these again.

Fess up. What weird things did you eat as a kid?

Labels: ,

1 Comments:

At 11:31 PM, Anonymous LittleWit said...

Heh I used to roll candy corn up in pepperonis and eat that. Yum!

I think there is nothing wrong with ice cream and ritz crackers it's the combination of salty and sweet. I used to eat icing with fritos and frosties with french fries all the time. :)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home