Wednesday, January 12, 2011

One missed call

I missed a call to my cell phone from my mom around 7:00 p.m. tonight. No message was left. I returned the call to her mobile and home numbers but didn't receive a response. No big deal, right?

Chances are it probably wasn't, and in this case it wasn't. Nevertheless, I've noticed that when I miss a call from my parents at a time when I wouldn't expect to receive one and don't get a message, part of me wonders if--and this is going to sound terrible--one of them has died or is being admitted to the hospital.

They're both at retirement age, so I suppose the news wouldn't be entirely unexpected. Still, neither of them are ill or in any state that would give me reason to jump to such a wild conclusion. It is purely my overactive imagination? worrisome nature? something else? I don't know that I grant such speculation any real seriousness, but it seems to me to be a bad impulse to have at all, especially because there's no evidence to merit it whatsoever.

As it turns out, tonight's call was an inquiry about getting audio and video from a computer to a television. I don't know why both of my calls went to voicemail--maybe they were on the line with another brother--but time was of the essence so my dad could watch a basketball game. Color me relieved and somewhat mortified where my mind meant. You can bet I didn't tell them what conclusion I leaped to.

Labels: , ,

1 Comments:

At 7:35 AM, Anonymous LittleWit said...

Never fear my brain goes to the exact same spot, way too often. In fact yesterday, upon hearing some strange noise while in the shower, my brain went to "oh no what if I am killed in the shower?!" And then "hmm, who would my yarn stash go to if I died unexpectedly?" Because that's *clearly* where everyone's brain goes when planning out their end of life matters. :) So, if anything you're at least more sane than I!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home