Wednesday, November 10, 2010

Coffee, tea, and me

About a month ago I decided to stop drinking coffee. I was stressed out and feeling kind of panicky, so I figured I didn't need the caffeine working on my nerves. I thought I might be so sensitive to its effects at the time that I decided to pass on decaf too. I think I've had coffee once in the last thirty days.

It isn't necessarily a long term or permanent choice, but it was something I felt I needed to do for the time being. In its place I've substituted hot tea. At first I favored chai tea, but I assumed there was probably still more caffeine than I wanted. So, for the most part I have been drinking decaffeinated tea and have become quite fond of Bigelow Constant Comment. (This video explains the reason for the name of the orange rind and spiced tea.) A nice cup of hot tea goes well with the cool mornings of late, and it's even something I've turned to in the middle of the afternoon. Maybe those cultures that have tea time are on to something.

I am consuming less caffeine than I was, although I should point out that I would only have a cup of coffee (or whatever size fits in one of those porcelain cups that look like that paper one you'd get from a shop). I didn't throw it back all day long like some do. I didn't go through any withdrawal symptoms, so it wasn't something I was hooked on. As much as I enjoy having coffee, I can't say that I miss it.

Eventually I imagine I'll resume drinking coffee with some regularity, but for now I've found something that is serving me quite well in its place. I am less anxious, although that most assuredly is due to getting answers that alleviated some worries. Still, I think that cutting back on that daily cup of joe was probably a wise move.

Labels: , ,

1 Comments:

At 8:59 AM, Blogger Doniamarie said...

Yum! That's always been a favorite tea of mine! I'm also addicted to Good Earth Original, if you ever see it. Tastes just as good as it smells and is similarly spicy!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home