Saturday, April 17, 2010

Passenger side

This weekend's Car Talk features a caller wondering about the safety of knitting while in the front passenger seat, specifically when the airbag deploys. (You can hear the call in segment 3 here, although this link will surely change by next weekend. I'll try to update when it has a permanent link.)

Can't say I've ever thought about this being an issue, mainly because it's not an option for me. I'm usually behind the wheel and thus, to state the obvious, not knitting.

The Car Talk guys give some good advice. Move the seat back as far as possible, whether it's all the way back or as far back without making a rear passenger uncomfortable. Don't hold your knitting at chest or face level. Perhaps most importantly, don't let fear get in the way of doing something you enjoy and that has minimal risk.

Labels: , ,

1 Comments:

At 3:43 PM, Anonymous LittleWit said...

So umm I spend a considerable amount of time knitting in the front passenger seat. My seat is always back as far as it goes so I have room for my knitting bag ;) And well I fear holding my knitting level with my face would just be uncomfortable and not last very long any way. Good to know my natural tendencies make me "safer." ;)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home