Tuesday, February 09, 2010

Postponed

Monday I put in a marathon work day so that I'd have everything done for the two shows today. My thinking was that I'd be a lot more at ease if I didn't have to deal with even the tiniest detail. I have to log a lot of time preparing each element, and doing so takes up a lot of space in my head. I am more than ready to clear it all out.

When I left the office late on Monday evening, I felt like a great weight had been lifted. All that remained was actually taping the programs. At this point in the process that feels like a formality, as though I've already given birth (in a manner of speaking) and just need to pretend to do it again for documentation purposes.

And then the snow came. Working at an institution of higher learning, we're not as subject to the skittish decisions of administrators spooked by the predictors of precipitative doom, otherwise known as TV weatherpeople. We close much less often and even then don't shut down for the entire day. Sure, we were getting a fair accumulation of snow this morning, but it wasn't anything out of the ordinary.

I went out for lunch and didn't really think the main roads were that bad, but the snow felt wet and heavy, which was a distinct change from the morning. A quick check of closings showed other universities calling off evening classes. I figured it was just a matter of time until we did. (These cancellations occur in chain reactions.) Finally, we were alerted that the campus would close mid-afternoon.

Rather than finally put all that hard work to rest and completion, it must be rescheduled. Frankly, I still sort of feel like it's done. The expiration date was tonight. We'll give it another try in a couple days.

(And for what it's worth, it stopped snowing--or snowing in any meaningful way--when the campus shut down for the day. I got home in about the same amount of time as usual. Maybe it's worse out there than I realize, but I think the hype outdid the reality. As usual.)

Labels: ,

2 Comments:

At 10:41 AM, Anonymous LittleWit said...

They hadn't plowed our streets until after 6pm last night. I use that as a gauge for how the roads are. I know if they have time to get to us things are fine at least on this side of town. Don't get me started on my parents' neighborhood. They probably have 15" tracks going down their street since it's never plowed.

 
At 12:26 PM, Blogger the secret knitter said...

I don't use my street as a gauge because nothing's been done to it yet from Friday's snowfall. Honestly, I think these two latest storms has had people overreacting, especially this week's.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home