Monday, December 14, 2009

Diplomacy

At work and, I suppose, in life it has fallen to me to be the diplomat. Most likely this is because I don't enjoy conflict and want to do what I can to set things right. Well, there's that and the fact that I probably have the least volatile temper in whatever situation I'm in.

What can complicate this at work is facing criticism, anger, and entitlement when such complaints are often not merited (and usually have nothing to do with anything I'm directly responsible for). While I project an image and voice of being cool under fire, that stuff can really eat at me, even when I'm delivering a measured response, typed or spoken, to defuse a situation.

I spent more than enough time today exercising this diplomacy in a couple work-related matters. While I realize that I am good at it and that I have a valuable skill, there are times, like one instance today, when it drives me crazy. I prefer straightforwardness and sincerity--probably to the point of earnestness--so it pains me to write something that I don't really mean but need to say in the politics of work.

Still, ugh...

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home