Monday, December 01, 2008

Road observations

I began the return trip home from my parents' this morning. I did hardly any knitting while there, so can you stand another day of random observations?

The snow seen in this entry's photos is what greeted me on my drive. It was a wet snow perfect for packing into snowballs and snowmen but not so great if you're behind the wheel of a vehicle. I didn't have to worry about it as where my parents live must be on the edge of the lake effect snow. About ten minutes into my drive the accumulation was inconsequential.

One of the strange things I saw while going to my parents' place on Thanksgiving was someone out in a glider of some sort with a rainbow colored parachute. It was too far away for me to get a great look at it, but I thought that a vehicle was underneath the parachute. I don't really have anything to say about it other than it was a weird thing to see on a cold Thanksgiving morning while driving through farmland.

I also came by a fair number of cars abandoned along the side of the road. I'll see one along the interstates or state highways every now and then, but this trip made me wonder about these automobiles and their owners. Who leaves their vehicles behind? Why? How do they get wherever they were going?

Remember my oddball, dream-inspired entry about defunct fast food franchises? Driving home today I saw a road sign for a Rax, although I suspected that it surely couldn't be open. (I was also in something of a hurry to get back in time so I could turn right around and catch JCVD before going to the Blue Jackets game.) I've checked the official Rax site, and it lists a Bellefontaine location. I am so going there when heading to my parents' for Christmas. (I think I may have exited on the right street and not known it when my car was acting possessed. Maybe it just wanted a roast beef sandwich?)

This was the third trip I've made to my parents' current home. I've taken three different routes, although the first one doesn't count because I had to go out of my way to pick up my great aunt. I swear that Google Maps gave me a different route this summer, although I won't complain because alternating my path kept the monotonous drive slightly more interesting.

Since driving directions were the bread and butter service of AAA, I wonder how internet driving directions have affected them. I'm still a member, although primarily it's for the assurance of roadside assistance should I need it. I haven't in awhile, but it's been very handy the few times I did.

Labels: , ,

2 Comments:

At 8:49 AM, Blogger Karen said...

snow! I love snow. I'm just saying.

 
At 8:01 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I am intrigued by the person on the hang glider. Isn't it a bit cold for that?

 

Post a Comment

<< Home