Thursday, November 09, 2006

My Third FO

Undeterred by the previous night's fun with knots, I knitted in earnest on my third scarf. I live close enough to work that I often walk home for lunch. I ate a quick meal and knitted for the rest of the break. I didn't have a lot to do in the office, and practically no one was around. I had to come in early today, which is usually a long day anyway, so I made sure it was fine with my boss that I take off in mid-afternoon. These are the days when it pays to be a salaried worker.

What to do with the extra time... You better believe I knitted. Why wouldn't I? My productivity has skyrocketed since I started knitting, and it's not just in cranking out projects. If you've been keeping up with this blog for its short existence, then you know I haven't exactly been afflicted with writer's block. I feel recharged, and the words are flowing, both here and in my writing for work.

I'm enjoying writing on a more personal level, and I really appreciate my wonderful readers. That anyone takes the slightest interest in my beginner's rambles and tangents is sort of amazing. I intend to post daily updates during the week like I've been doing or until I start running out of things to say. So you know, often I am trying to be funny.

Contrary to what you might think, I'm typically pegged as a quiet person. It's not an unfounded observation either. I've been such a chatterbox here for two related reasons. I'm excited about knitting. Naturally, I want to talk about it. That's hard to do in offline life, a.k.a. the real world, since I'm the secret knitter.

On that front, I'm leaning toward staying "secret" on this blog even after giving the Christmas gifts I'm making. (Obviously the jig will be up then with family and friends. Those readers who want to know who I am can get the answer by following a link in my introductory post.) I'm not embarrassed to like knitting, but I feel like the pseudo-anonymity frees me to be more open. I also like the protection it provides from my students potentially stumbling in here.

Anyway, back to scarf #3. The rest of the afternoon I knitted and knitted and knitted. My right index finger has a sore spot from repeatedly placing it on the left needle when removing the old stitch. (Kristin tells me I can expect a callus.) No pain, no gain, as the sports world likes to preach. The work has been worth it. I finished the scarf about an hour before I needed to be at a nearby movie theater for the screening of Tenacious D in The Pick of Destiny.

I really like the yarn I used for this scarf--one skein of dye lot 23 and one of 05--and think the color variation turned out very well. Great idea Kristin! She didn't need to be called in for any emergency fixes on this one, so there's some progress. She shouldn't feel like those repairs are now a thing of the past, though. I have one for her in my backpack right now.

After the film I showed Kristin my latest FO. It met her approval, which is always reassuring, and she took a photo of me wearing the scarf in the parking lot. (Where else would be better?) I've never been fond of having my picture taken and resisted the idea of uploading it here. (And no, I can't explain why I feel like this yet don't think twice about being on a television show that airs a ridiculous number of times.) But you've caught me in the right mood, I guess, because I've published it below. Maybe it's the snazzy new glasses that make me look less like what I'm used to.

How about another view of the scarf?

And a close-up of the stitches for good measure...

Respectable for someone who has been knitting not quite a month, right?

Next...revisiting the purple scarf.

3 Comments:

At 7:40 PM, Blogger Jennifer said...

awesome awesome job!!!
u r doing great - kristin must be sooo proud!
love the glasses, btw : )

 
At 8:35 AM, Blogger the secret knitter said...

Thanks so much.

And I'm glad the glasses are a hit too. :)

 
At 10:34 AM, Blogger kdk said...

I *am* sooo proud! :) That scarf is just downright beautiful. I'm tempted to make one for myself. And you did a great job with it. I'm so impressed by how even your stitches are already -- and it's only been about a month. Great job!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home