Saturday, October 28, 2006

The trouble with skein joining

Since I learned to knit, I've been doing it every day. Why wouldn't I? It's fun and relaxing. Plus, I have a big task ahead of me if I'm to meet the holiday deadline. Seven scarves won't knit themselves overnight. As I've found with my weight loss exercise routine--an effort that finally looks to be showing results--developing a good habit is the best way to ensure I follow through on a long term project.

Even if a day doesn't allow as much time for knitting as I'd prefer, I set aside a little to knit. Usually that comes at the end of the day and means foregoing some sleep, but I'm more of a night owl anyway. (It helps that I can arrive at work when I want--within reason, of course--and live within walking distance of my office, which eliminates a commute time.)

I don't know whether it's having knitting on the brain or its omnipresence, but I've noticed it more in TV and movies. Hey, there's Amy Sedaris knitting on My Name is Earl, a South African grandmother knitting in the political drama Catch a Fire, and an old woman in shadow knitting in Tim Burton's The Nightmare Before Christmas. Knitting isn't the primary focus in these scenes, just some background color, but it never would have caught my eye before. The phenomenon is like purchasing a new car and suddenly noticing the same make and model whenever you're on the road. Now I'm so aware of knitting that if a movie is boring me, I've even found myself paying attention to how the cast's scarves and sweaters are stitched.

My daily knitting was threatened on Monday. At my second lesson a week prior, Kristin showed me how to join skeins. I was feeling the pressure that came with tying them together. If I did it incorrectly, the additional foot of knitting could separate from the five feet I'd completed. I've never been adept at tying knots--needless to say, I wasn't a Boy Scout--and I wasn't certain how long I should make the tail.

Kristin gave me some advice via e-mail and assured me that it wasn't as hard as I was making it out to be. It isn't, I don't think, but I fumbled around with the end of the first super bulky scarlet chenille skein and the beginning of the second. Knots came undone. The three strands of loose yarn (where I needed to begin from the second skein and tails from the first and second skeins) tangled, so I'd lose track of which I needed to be wrapping.

I thought I finally had it ready and started knitting. I ran into problems right away. I looked and poked at the two stitches I had knitted but couldn't determine what was wrong. I knew something wasn't how it should be despite not being able to put my finger on it. Regrettably, I put the knitting down and knew I would need to employ Kristin's help.

It should be clear that I don't mind asking her for help, and she's been very accommodating in giving me a hand when I get in a jam. (I foresee another pie in her future for her assistance. Knitting has been fixed out of my car's trunk more times than I've had to remove the spare tire.) I want to get it right and probably need to be easier on myself. After all, Kristin thinks I'm doing well, and I'm impressed with what I've done so far.

Next...binding off and casting on.

1 Comments:

At 2:29 PM, Blogger kdk said...

LOL! It's good to hear that I'm no longer the only one taking notice of scarves and sweaters while watching movies. ;)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home