Thursday, December 16, 2010

Sleigh Bells ring


I'm getting crushed in the run-up to Christmas and the end of the year, so bear with me as I tread water here for another day.

One of the things I'm doing of my own accord is processing the year in music. So how about featuring a band with a name that is seasonally appropriate? Sleigh Bells are one of the trendiest 2010 acts. On first spin their debut album didn't exactly make sense to me, and even at its tight 32 minutes, Treats can feel like an endurance test.

This is a LOUD record meant to be played LOUD. You practically feel as though you're getting tinnitus listening to it at a safe level. Even if you play the embedded clip with the volume turned down low, it will still sound like it's blowing out your speakers. It was produced as though everything was in the red, which certainly gives it a distinct sonic texture, but it can be wearying to the ears. I kind of felt like it was giving me a headache first time around.

As I've listened to the album, its pop charms have emerged from the distortion. I'm still not sure Sleigh Bells are all they're cracked up to be, but there's something endearing about how catchy and completely obnoxious their music can be.

If anything signifies this group being oh-so-2010, they've even managed to be featured in a car commercial.

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home