Sunday, September 27, 2009

Cold Mountain

Cold Mountain

Yarn: Noro Kureyon (100% wool; worsted weight)
Colorway: 178
Needles: US 7s
Stitches: 28
Pattern: 1x1 rib (first stitch slipped with yarn in front, last stitch knitted)
Size: 5" wide, 78" long

The project I took up because I needed something to do and then ended up setting aside, leading to a months-long period of little knitting, is finished. Except for a difference in colors, it's essentially the same scarf I made for my mom last year. I'm happier with what I made her than this this one, but I think I'm pleased enough with this to wear it.

I've taken to using the names of films for projects that don't have patterns. Due to the rustic colors, which remind me of levels of soil with hints of grass and the sky, Cold Mountain seemed like an appropriate name. That film's crisp and earthy cinematography, or how I remember it, seems like a good match with this scarf. The colors are suited to the fall-like temperatures that have arrived this weekend, although I certainly won't be needing this until it gets a lot colder.

I have little yarn remaining from the third skein and would have used it all up if I hadn't already knit 78 inches. Kureyon had much less vegetable matter and fewer knots than Silk Garden, so it was easier to work with.

One improvement I made with this scarf is not flaring the ends, which has been a common problem of mine. I'm guessing that I cast on and bound off looser than usual to get rounded square ends.

More than anything, though, I'm just glad to have it done. It wasn't a bad knit, just kind of an uninteresting one.

Labels: , , ,

3 Comments:

At 4:43 PM, Anonymous LittleWit said...

Hooray it's done! What will you do next? :)

 
At 5:56 PM, Blogger the secret knitter said...

Probably I'll be turning my attention to a scarf for the Red Scarf Project.

 
At 7:27 AM, Blogger Doniamarie said...

Very nice! I like it!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home