Thursday, April 05, 2007

A blanket answer

I stopped knitting last night when I had decreased the baby blanket to fifty stitches on the needles. I thought I might be able to finish it tonight, but I had no idea I'd be able to whip it out as fast as I did this evening. About two hours of working on it during NBC's comedy block--how quaint to watch TV programs as they air--and overtime of the Blue Jackets game was all I needed until I bound off. (Aside: Why didn't I add 30 Rock to my DVR record list months ago? That's a funny show.)

No pictures yet as I have to weave in the ends. You should get those tomorrow.

Thus ends my first experience knitting with circular needles. In the beginning I struggled with the cable coiling up and getting in the way, and it was sort of an issue as the number of stitches decreased. I can't imagine there being any other way of knitting something like this. Surely you couldn't--or wouldn't--knit it on straight needles. The weight of the blanket would pull your arms out of their sockets. As with anything else, once I got the hang of it, I liked it. My next test will be knitting in the round, I suppose.

Let's see, what else is going on? A week after I was quoted in the New York Times I got slagged by a prominent internet movie blogger/gossip/crank for not hating Are We Done Yet? enough. (You can get there by following the link in the comments to my review. There's no way I'm linking it here and providing a potential track back to this site.)

I'm pretty thin-skinned about being criticized, but in this case it doesn't bother me because I considered the source. I used to read him but tired of his mouth-foaming shtick. And it's not like he generated much traffic for me yesterday. Wednesday was a slow day, which tells me that people aren't looking for reviews of Are We Done Yet? and perhaps his readers don't leave his echo chamber.

Just watch, next thing you know I'll be mentioned in Vogue Knitting or something.

2 Comments:

At 11:25 AM, Blogger Karen said...

Yay for finishing the baby blanket!!

That's my plan today with the day off... finish a couple of WIP's that are soooo close.

You have a good attitude about the foaming at the mouth critic's criticism of you. Funny, I showed "Are We There Yet?" to my students on the long bus trip to Washington, DC last June, and it was OK (not great). I say "OK" because it kept 50 kids entertained for a big chunk of time. I found myself wondering if the sequel would be out on DVD by mid-June for that same reason. LOL

 
At 9:49 PM, Blogger Jennifer said...

Can't wait to see pictures of your latest FO...I remember being ridiculously happy when I finished that pattern...seemed so simple and yet it kept going and going lol

 

Post a Comment

<< Home