Tuesday, October 13, 2009

Three years

On this date three years ago I first picked up needles and yarn and received a lesson in the knit stitch. What's pictured above is the product of my attempts. For real.

Yes, the practice piece was basically a disaster. Yes, I knew as much at the time, but I was determined to figure it out. Isn't that what a practice piece should be for?

Three years later I may not be an advanced knitter, but I think I can safely say that I know what I'm doing more often than not. Granted, I'm not one to go out on a limb and try something ambitious, but I'm able to read the knitting and undo work, two key abilities that challenged me for some time.

Making the conscious choice to knit was not a conventional one for me. It certainly wasn't something I ever envisioned doing. This single decision has probably had a bigger impact on me these past years than I realize. Sure, I've learned a skill, but the greater changes brought about by knitting come in how I am and how I see myself. At least that's what I sense.

Have those changes been so significant? Is the me of three years ago or of five years ago that different from who is here typing this blog entry? Does knitting deserve the lion's share of the credit for affecting those changes?

Honestly, I can't say for certain if an affirmative answer to any of those questions is true. Some of you may be better equipped to respond than me. Big effects, little effects, whatever...I'm glad I made the decision to knit. That's what counts.

Labels:

1 Comments:

At 8:19 AM, Blogger Ruth's Place said...

I can't believe it's been three years! Congrats on the knitting anniversary and I'm glad that you chose to share your knitting journey with us.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home