Sunday, April 08, 2007

Happy Easter

Nothing says Easter like temperatures colder than those at Christmas and very light flurries. No complaints, though. I could be in snowy Cleveland.

I might as well have been since I spent the day like a shut-in. I went to the 11:00 a.m. church service--no sunrise service for me--although that meant getting there fifteen minutes early in hopes of obtaining a seat. I would have been earlier, but upon leaving the apartment building I saw that my newspaper had been stolen again. I walked back up the stairs to my place and reported the missing paper.

Luckily I was able to squeeze in at the the end of the pew in the third row. It was closer than I preferred, but it was better than sitting on a cushion in the window sill. No joke. The sanctuary was packed, with some people on folding chairs in the narthex and others perched on the concrete sills. (I've sat there once before. Uncomfortable is a word that comes to mind.)

Shortly after returning home I had a chat with the newspaper delivery manager. He had a replacement paper and some comments regarding the numerous thefts I've called in. Apparently I have achieved "you won't believe who called" status. I'm not sure how many times I've reported my newspaper stolen in recent months, but it's been a lot. Maybe twenty times this year and almost every Sunday. I trust that it is being delivered but that someone else in my building is taking it.

Anyway, the delivery manager told me that he had come by at 8 a.m. and saw that the paper was on the front steps. When he returned to the office about two and a half hours later, he was told that he wouldn't believe who called in to report their paper missing. That's right: me. He wasn't blaming me, but it was obvious that he is fed up with the situation. (Tell me about it. That's one of the reasons why I'm moving.) Some days the paper's bag has writing on it specifying that it is for me only. Sometimes it'll go a week without being swiped. The fact is that it happens regularly, and this guy is ready to bust heads.

In all honesty, I hope next Sunday's paper does get stolen because it sounds as though he's going to sit in his car to see who takes it. He has a suspicion about which apartment's residents are stealing it, and he's going to give them an earful if he catches them in the act. I didn't realize that they would go to those lengths.

I watched some of the Reds game and napped through a good chunk of it. The rest left me refreshed to begin a new knitting project. Two friends, one of whom is a member of The MOD Squad (see #24 in The Archies), recently had a baby boy, so I am going to make a baby hat for them. I found this pattern to make, although I'll be omitting the pompom.

I almost bought some yarn for it yesterday, but I remembered that I have a lot of nice blues in my stash from Kristin's scarf. The yarn is half nylon and half acrylic, so it has a wonderful softness perfect for a baby item. I've knitted almost four inches of the necessary five before decreasing. I think it's going to look great. I would probably have it finished if I hadn't slogged my way through writing another review tonight.

2 Comments:

At 11:01 PM, Blogger Karen said...

Happy Easter! I hope the newpaper bandits are caught. I know you've expressed frustration before at your paper being gone.

That's a great baby hat pattern, and quick. Thanks for posting it. A former student just sent a baby announcement and I can whip up a hat in no time.

The bad part about all the snow in Cleveland? (Besides listening to my best friend complain about shoveling it! LOL) No Indians games! I was looking forward to knitting and watching a ball game with my dad today.

 
At 6:36 AM, Blogger Jennifer said...

Oh man.. if those idiots (assuming they are the trouble-makers we think they are) get caught taking the paper, it's going to make for great blog-reading :) Sorry to hear you are still dealing w/ this sort of thing...sound like your move can't come soon enough.

Can't wait to see the finished hat...the pattern looks really cute! And by the way...we never made it out to my dad's birthday celebration yesterday as we were SNOWED IN! My hubby spent four hours shoveling so we could go to work today. Unbelievable. At least we were able to order pizza to enjoy while sulking about missing prime rib, baked potatoes and salad w/ my family...stoopid snow!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home