Tuesday, March 27, 2007

Odds and ends

Taking a few days off has really knocked me off my rhythm, but this is the last I'll mention the delays in writing up Cleveland. It feels like trying to do three or four entries in one, which is why I'm stalling. I've been swamped since returning. The spring quarter began yesterday, and I've been at regular screenings each night I've been back (and another tomorrow). I just need some time to regain my stride. In the meantime, odds and ends...

T-minus sixty days and counting until I move. Frankly, I'm worried that I won't have everything ready to go. I have the local film festival for four days in April. (I help with the programming.) I'll be gone five days at the end of next month for another film festival. I've done some work in the past month, but having accomplished practically nothing toward the move in the last ten days, I'm beginning to feel the pressure again.

File under "It's Funny Because It Hurts"... Today I learned that one of the two students I will have for a producing practicum is...wait for it...one of my problematic next door neighbors. (Insert symbols indicating strong vulgarity.) It is the fulfillment of everything I've feared since students began moving into this place. The grade is earned based on time and effort put into the process, not on the finished product so much, and as a staff member, I don't sign off on the grade given. (The situation here wouldn't impact any grade I might suggest, but it seems ripe for trouble.) It's up to the registered students to see me and determine how they're going to meet the requirements of the one credit hour course. That may be my safeguard. He may not bother checking in with me at all. I also wouldn't be surprised if he dropped it. I could only be so lucky.

I've finished knitting the felted needle holder. I have lots of ends to sew in before the felting can begin. I thought about doing that tonight, but maybe it's time to get back to knitting the baby blanket that's been put to the side for a couple weeks. I recorded American Idol and this evening's Blue Jackets game, so I have plenty of TV to accompany knitting. I might as well erase the hockey game if I want to get any sleep, though.

The list of things to write is eight miles high. Four days of film festival coverage, knitting-related stories from the fest, a few reviews of films in regular release, some other reviews, a creative piece or two, an introductory Kniterati post that's been percolating for awhile...that's all.

Anyway, that's what's going on. From the little of it that I enjoyed, the weather was wonderful today. Cut to this time of year's recurring moan about working in the basement and fade to black.

1 Comments:

At 10:13 AM, Blogger Jenn said...

You better get a move on that Kniterati post--I don't want to be the only one posting!

Just kidding. But seriously.

Hope you get all caught up! Or something close...and man, I'd be frightened to have a student who was also a troublesome next door neighbor. Sheesh--maybe I'll use you as an example tonight in my Professing Literature class.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home